We all deserve a place to call home.

Homelessness is a very real issue for many LGBTIQA+ young people in NSW.

It is often more than simply not having a roof over your head, it could mean that you are staying between a few different places, or not knowing where you will be sleeping next week or even the next few days.

It could also mean that home is not a place that is safe and you need to get out. Twenty10 provides housing, support and information to LGBTIQA+ people who are experiencing homelessness or who at risk of homelessness.

On this page:

group of people smiling

Independent transitional housing (ages 17 – 25)

We provide stable, affordable, medium-term accommodation (3-18 months) for young people who are ready to live more independently, and want to work on a plan to increase their opportunities for employment and stable housing.

This means you are employed, studying or in training, and are making the transition from assisted living (such as a refuge) to live independently (either on your own or with flatmates). You might also be leaving home or wherever it is you are currently residing.

In our housing, you would be given some assistance through case management to put this plan into action. This can include support to develop living skills, get into an educational course, find employment, and address barriers that may be preventing you from moving forward in your life.

If our transitional housing sounds right for you, then give us a call. We will need to know some details about your history and current situation, and may invite you in for a meeting so we can learn more about you and what supports you may need.

The whole process can take at least a few weeks, so be aware that it is not something that is available straight away.

To get started please go to contact us.

Case management (ages 12-25)

Case management is a collaborative and professional relationship focused on creating a safe and non-judgmental space, where you can work towards what’s important to you or to provide support in moving in that direction.

You will work collaboratively with a worker on a case plan in a series of structured appointments.

Case workers are unable to provide counselling or therapy. If these needs arise during a case meeting, a referral to a counsellor or similar support can be arranged as part of your care plan.

We are open to providing flexible meetings to meet your needs if it fits our availability.

Case management can be longer, like for the duration of being in our housing, or short-term- we might help with a Centrelink application – it will last for the duration of the requested task.

Your case plan will focus on working towards practical aims like:

  • Advocacy (which is a professional way of ‘sticking up for you’) for persecution/discrimination at school, the workplace or wider spheres

  • Gender affirmation pathways referrals

  • Finding and maintaining housing

  • Staying at school or starting studies

  • Finding employment and/or training

  • How to budget

  • Assist with application for brokerage funds

  • Mental health and primary health issues

  • Legal assistance

  • Accessing Centrelink

  • Learning important living skills

Information and referrals

If our housing is not suitable or available to you, or you need assistance to keep your current accommodation, we can still provide some support or point you in the right direction.

We can assist you to access other accommodation services, and can work with them to ensure that they are creating a safe environment where you are respected and supported to be who you are.

Contact us to find out more.

Emergency Accommodation

Twenty10 does not provide short-term, emergency or crisis accommodation.

If this sounds like your situation, then the best place to call is Link2Home 1800 152 152, the homelessness line for NSW. They are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and should be able to assist you in finding a bed for the night.

NSW Department of Communities & Justice provides emergency temporary accommodation in low-cost hotels, motels, caravan parks and similar accommodation for people who are homeless or experience a housing crisis.